This meditation exercise follows the deeper meditation of last week on Radio Protea. There were several requests from people learning to relax and meditate for a briefer, faster and shorter form of meditation…. one that could be use anywhere to relax and unwind when feeling tense or stressed, anxious, worried or uptight. It is simple and beginners will be able to master it easily…with practice. In order to be able to develop the skill to meditate when you need to…at any time for a few minutes or more, please read the earlier “Deeper Meditation”. It will help you to set up to do this express exercise more easily. It will also provide the reinforcement you need for the technique to become part of your thinking.
At a later stage we will work on Mindfulness and Mindfulness meditation – a method of making you aware of living in the moment. Meanwhile master this easy relaxation and make it part of your life…you are going to love using it.
RADIO PROTEA VERY BRIEF MEDIATION
1.Become as comfortable and safe as you can….Safety is important.
2.Close your eyes.
3. If seated feel your feel on the ground and the seat beneath you. If lying down, notice your spine pressing down. If leaning…notice the body part in contact with something solid or your feet.
4. Take 3 deep breaths.
5. Feel how heavy your body is.
6. Think of your special place.
7. Go there.
8. Now instead of relaxing look around for something that is unusual, particularly interesting, colourful or most of all important to you. For example, If my place is a garden, the thing most important to…that stands out is the fishpond. The special thing you chose must be simple enough and easy enough to remember when you think of your place. It must be in your mind the very essence of the place. I like a fishpond in my garden, because watching the colourful, slowly moving fish makes me relax and reminds me of all the colourful flowers. I might even be able to think of a goldfish and it will remind me of my garden…my special place. You might choose a colour like the colour of the sea or you might like a tree, a bird or flower. Whatever you have chosen, think about it now.
If you are having trouble finding something special to remember you might want to change the place or develop it later. Meanwhile we will continue.
9. Now rest in your place for a very brief while.
10. Notice your feet on the floor or pressure in your body and this is your sign to return.
11. You can return if you can manage it or count from 10 to 0 and know that when you reach zero you will be back and feel relaxed.
Repeat this exercise taking special notice of item you need to remember that reminds you of your place.
Even faster meditation.
Make yourself comfortable and safe.
Close your eyes.
Take 3 deep breaths in the way I taught you…( or more)
Now think of that item you need to remember. It is like a logo on the computer and you can just press it.
You should be in your place relaxing.
Feel your feet on the floor or pressure at some point in your body and return.
Count from 10-0 if you need to do this.
At any time when you need to relax quickly take a deep breath and think of your special item or logo.